Chef Nadine Nelson
Serves 6, ¾ cup per serving
6 medium carrots
½ small onion
1 large lemon
3 Tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon curry powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ cup dark or golden raisins
2 small bowls
1. Rinse and peel carrots and onion.
2. Shred carrots with a grater. Dice onion.
3. Rinse lemon and cut in half. In a small bowl, squeeze juice. Discard seeds.
4. In a medium bowl, combine carrots and onions.
5. In a second small bowl, combine oil, curry powder, salt, pepper, and 2 Tablespoons of the lemon juice. Mix well. Let marinate 5 minutes.
6. Pour liquid mixture over carrots and onions. Stir in raisins. Mix well.
Replace half of the carrot with grated jicama or apples.
For best taste, allow flavors to blend before serving. Let sit 15–20 minutes after you have mixed in the sauce in step 6.
Serve as a colorful side dish for fish, poached chicken, or baked or broiled chicken legs.
Layer onto a sandwich with lean turkey and fresh veggies like cucumber.